Are you a fan of antiques and vintage home decor? Do you love browsing old furniture, books, jewelry, and other treasures? If so, you might want to check out estate sales in your area.
Estate sales are events where the belongings of a deceased or downsizing person are sold to the public. They are a great way to find unique and high-quality items at bargain prices.
Here are some tips on how to find great antiques and vintage home decor at estate sales.
– Do your research. Before you go to an estate sale, do some online research on the company that is hosting it, the location of the sale, and the available items. I use estatesales.net to locate the best high-end sales. You can also look for photos and descriptions of the items on social media or online forums. This will help you get an idea of what to expect and what to look for.
– Arrive early. Estate sales are usually very popular and crowded, especially on the first day. If you want to have the best chance of finding the items you want, you should arrive as early as possible. Some estate sales have a sign-up sheet or a numbered ticket system to let people in order. Others are first-come, first-served. Either way, you should be prepared to wait in line and enter the sale as soon as you can. If you visit often, consider asking the sale organizer if you have the option to buy before the general public.
WHAT I TAKE WITH ME TO ALL SALES
– Be polite and respectful. Estate sales are not like garage sales or thrift stores. They are often held in someone’s home and involve their personal belongings. You should be polite and respectful to the hosts, the staff, and the other shoppers. Don’t haggle too much, don’t touch anything that is not for sale, don’t block the aisles or doorways, and don’t be rude or aggressive. Remember that you are a guest in someone’s home and act accordingly.
– Know what to look for. Estate sales are a treasure trove of antiques and vintage home decor, but they can also be overwhelming and confusing. You should have a clear idea of what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay for it. You can use online guides, books, magazines, or apps to help you identify and value different items. You can also ask the staff or the hosts for more information or history about the items.
Some things to look for are:
– The condition of the item. Is it clean, intact, functional, and free of damage or defects? Does it have any signs of wear, tear, repair, or restoration? Does it have any marks, labels, stamps, or signatures that indicate its origin, date, maker, or value?
– The style of the item. Does it match your personal taste and preference? Does it fit with your existing home decor or collection? Does it have any distinctive features or characteristics that make it stand out or unique?
– The rarity of the item. Is it a common or a rare item? How many of them were made or are available? How often do they come up for sale? How much demand is there for them?
– The price of the item. Is it within your budget? Is it fair and reasonable for its condition, style, rarity, and market value? Is it worth buying now or waiting for a better deal?
Have fun! Estate sales are not only a great way to find great antiques and vintage home decor, but they are also a lot of fun. You can meet new people, learn new things, discover new treasures, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Estate sales are a wonderful way to spend your time and money while honoring the past and beautifying your present.