Greetings, I hope this post finds you well. Spring has sprung here in Louisiana and what better way to bring in beautiful weather, than with a slice of homemade sour cream pound cake.
This pound cake recipe brings back so many memories of my NaNa. She was known for her great cooking, but it was something about her Sour Cream Pound Cake that was an absolute crowd-pleaser. If you were to taste it you would immediately know why. It was the perfect combination of sweetness and decadence. The tartness of the lemon icing pairs perfectly with the sweet and creamy pound cake. Oh, and let’s talk about moisture–it held its moistness for days after sitting on the kitchen counter.
I remember when she would be in the kitchen preparing it and would ask me if I wanted to help and I would say “No NaNa I’m gonna have a maid that does all that”. Well fast forward little did I know I would be getting a maid to help with all my other household duties so I could spend time in the kitchen pulling all her great recipes out of mind and putting them in action. I normally have to elicit the help of my Aunt Maxine because at times I seem to have quite an imagination on how NaNa prepared some things. She never fails by guiding me in the right direction.
This should have been the first recipe I shared with you guys, but to be honest I didn’t think I could ever make this cake with as much love and soul as she put into it. I think I succeeded my son was the discount double-check quality check on this one. I think I made my NaNa proud today and that’s all folks.
As always thank you for following me on this journey. You are my daily inspiration to keep sharing. If you try any of my recipes inspired by my grandmother please leave me a comment and like. Be Well. Omniley ?
Lou's Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Bundt Cake Pan
- 3 c flour all purpose sifted
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 c butter flavored shortening
- 3 c sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300° and spray bundt pan with Baker's Joy well.
- Mix together flour, kosher salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar adding about a 1/3 c at a time.
- Next add in eggs one at a time. Make sure each egg is fully incorporated in mix before adding the next.
- On low speed add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture 1 c at a time.
- Add in sour cream and extracts on medium.
- Pour batter in to prepared bundt pan and bake for 1 hour 20 minute. Watch closely during the last 20 minutes as ovens cook time may vary.
- Once done remove from oven and place on wire rack for 10 minute and then turn out immediately and let cake completely cool on rack.
- Top with lemon icing (optional) and move to display cake stand.