Happy Holidays! I hope this post finds you well. We are only a few sleep nights away from Christmas, and I wanted to share my amazing butter cookies recipe. I find myself indulging in these every Christmas season.
I only cook these for Christmas as I have no self-control when it comes to them. One of the key ingredients is pure lemon extract. It breaks off the sweetness, so pairing them with a cold glass of milk or Peppermint flavored bourbon cream is oh-so-delicious.
One key thing I have learned over the years with baking these cookies is to make them thin and to bake them on parchment paper to avoid major puffing and spreading. I think this is my best batch yet. I did a simple egg wash topping for a crispy finish.
I hope you have time to try them in the near future. They are so delicious! As always, thank you for following me on my journey. Seasons Greetings! Omniley
- Total Time: 3 hours 34 minutes
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
These tender butter cookies have lots of fantastic butter and lemon flavor and a melt-in-your-mouth consistency that will make you return for more.
- 1 C butter (unsalted, room temp)
- 1 ¼ C white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ C self-rising flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cream together butter, sugar, extracts, and beaten eggs using an electric mixer. Sift together salt and 2 cups of self-rising flour.
- Pour in flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the remaining ½ cup of flour onto countertop or board and gently knead dough into flour until it is no longer sticky (add more flour if needed.
- Place kneaded dough in cling wrap or Ziploc bag and let chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Add a little flour to the countertop or board and roll the dough to ¼” thick with a rolling pin. Avoid overhandling dough.
- Cut out cookies to desired shape and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat. Cook for 8-10 minutes. During the last 2 minutes, brush with egg wash mixture (optional). Watch closely to avoid browning.
Egg wash: 1 egg and ½ tsp white sugar
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on a rack. Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 66
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 11
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 10
Keywords: butter cookies, cookies, dessert, holiday cookies, christmas cookies