Greetings. I hope this post finds you in good spirits. Does it feel like Fall where you live yet? In Louisiana, we had a teaser last week and the first thing I did was make a batch of chili. During the fall and weather months, there are some recipes that are a must on my list and chili is one of them.
Chili is such a hearty dish, it can be served as a main dish or as a topping for baked potatoes or french fries you name it. When it comes to my household we have one dilemma when it comes to chili…can you guess what it is? If you guessed beans or no beans you guessed right.
For me I must have the beans; if you don’t add beans it is simply tasty ground beef to me. My guys however despite beans in chili.
Let’s talk about the official difference.
Traditional Texas-style chili is also known as chili con carne: a blend of meat, tomatoes, and chiles, but strictly free of one ingredient BEANS! When it all comes down to chili the secret really lies in your spices if you ask me. I finally found the perfect spice blend for my family and I think if you give it a try you will be pleased also.
- Instant Pot
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 lb ground beef 80/20 or leaner
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Hot Mexican-Style Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp all-spice
- 1 C beef broth
- 2 cans 15 oz red kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can peeled whole tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp Steen's cane syrup
- shredded cheese, avocado, and sour cream for topping
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and add oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 2-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add in poblano peppers.
- Add ground beef and cook, break the meat up while cooking with a wooden spoon. Once no longer pink drain fat if necessary.
- Return insert to instant pot and add in the remaining ingredients and stir. Lock lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 30 minutes.
- Allow instant pot to cool and release steam, then remove lid. Serve with desired toppings.