Happy Holidays. I hope this post finds you well. We are only a few sleep nights from Christmas. I find myself each year indulging in these decadent butter cookies, so I am finally sharing the recipe. I only cook these for Christmas as I have no self-control when it comes to them. One of the key ingredients is the pure lemon extract it breaks of the sweetness so pairing them with a cold glass of milk or Peppermint flavored bourbon cream is oh so delicious.
One key thing I have learned over the years with baking these cookies is to make them thin and to bake on parchment paper to avoid major puffing and spreading. I think the is my best batch yet. I did a simple egg wash topping for a crispy finish.
I hope you have time to try them in the near future they are so delicious! As always thank you for following me on my journey. Seasons Greetings! Omniley?
- 1 C butter, unsalted room temp
- 1 ¼ C white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ C self-rising flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cream together butter, sugar, extracts, and beaten eggs using an electric mixer. Sift together salt and 2 cups of self-rising flour.
- Pour in flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the remaining ½ cup of flour onto countertop or board and gently knead dough into flour until it is no longer sticky (add more flour if needed.
- Place kneaded dough in cling wrap or Ziploc bag and let chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 25 minutes.
- Add a little flour to countertop or board and roll dough to ¼" thick with rolling pin. Avoid overhandling dough.
- Cut out cookies to desired shape and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat. Cook for 8-10 minutes. During the last 2 minutes brush with egg wash mixture (optional). Watch closely to avoid browning.Egg wash: 1 egg and ½ tsp white sugar
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on rack. Store in air-tight container for up to 5 days.